Monday, 21 September 2009

the day the dolphins came


Sea Fest has been running in my town this month, and as part of last weekend's arts theme two of my colleagues from Living Coasts and myself set out to make some sand sculptures on the beach yesterday. Because of my particular branch of expertise, we went for a pod of dolphins. The weather was completely on our side for once (thanks, England!) and it turned out to be an awesome day overall. It was also a great learning experience! I learned that sitting down in wet sand might seem like a good idea at the time but is actually very stupid. I also learned that I will get sand in my mouth no matter what. Still, butts aside, it was a lot of fun being Chief Dolphin Physiology Consultant - I even conquered making curved dorsal fins, so good times were had. Here's a look at the process:

Stuart and I marking out the pod and getting to work on Alpha Dolphin.


Magic!

Dorsal fin construction! I'm working on the one we affectionately called Lumpy.


Finished!! The waves were mostly the work of Alex and Stuart because my waves came out bollocks.
And then they buried me. Thanks guys.
Alex went back in the early evening to see them crumble to their deaths. I mean, swim out to sea to be real dolphins. That is exactly what happened.Bye bye dolphins!

2 comments:

  1. My waves were rubbish as well. Stuart is clearly the Poseidon of sand wave construction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your waves were FAR superior to mine.

    ReplyDelete